WASH Facts a quick view
- An estimated 2.5 billion people lack access to improved sanitation
- Worldwide, 780 million people do not have access to an improved water source
- According to the World Health Organization and UNICEF, regions with the lowest coverage of "improved" sanitation in 2006 were sub-Saharan Africa (31%), Southern Asia (33%) and Eastern Asia (65%)
- In 2006, 7 out of 10 people without access to improved sanitation were rural inhabitants
- An estimated 801,000 children younger than 5 years of age perish from diarrhea each year, mostly in developing countries. This amounts to 11% of the 7.6 million deaths of children under the age of five and means that about 2,200 children are dying every day as a result of diarrheal diseases
Act now or it will be too late. Also write down the WASH data you have...cheers.