Marine & River Dune Dynamics
The French Naval Hydrographic and Oceanographic Service (SHOM) has piloted the Marine and River Dune Dynamics series after its initiation in 1998 during a meeting of the North Sea Hydrographic Commission. Following the successes of Lille (France), Twente (the Netherlands) and Leeds (UK), this conference will be held in the medieval city of Bruges (Belgium), on Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 April 2013, with a field trip on Wednesday 17 April.
Since its initiation the conference has combined expertise from a variety of disciplines including geology, engineering, hydrography and biology, with results derived from observations, modelling and experiments.
- Theme 1: Bedform evolution (migration, growth, spatial variation)
- Theme 2: Sedimentary properties of bedforms
- Theme 3: Biogeomorphology
- Theme 4: Hydrodynamic and Morphodynamic modelling
- Theme 5: Field data collection (incl. emerging technologies)
- Theme 6: Practical applications and human influences (e.g. bedform related problems for navigation; power generation; petroleum exploration; dredging and disposal)
- Theme 7: River, coastal and marine management (e.g. risk management; EU Directives)