Water and Energy for Food
The Water and Energy for Food (WE4F) Grand Challenge was established to expand the scale of innovations that impact the food and water sectors, food and energy sectors, or all three sectors of the nexus (food, water, energy) to increase the sustainability of agricultural food value chains and address climate resilience in developing countries and emerging markets – with a particular focus on the poor and women.
WE4F will capitalize on the vast resources and learnings from Securing Water for Food: A Grand Challenge for Development (SWFF) and Powering Agriculture: An Energy Grand Challenge for Development (PAEGC) and adopt the most promising innovations/innovators identified and nurtured in those programs and support these innovations to grow and scale.
WE4F has the potential to bring about transformational change and large-scale impact in the food sector, assisting millions of people across the globe who are involved in the food chain. For this purpose, the WE4F programme strives to achieve the following impacts:
- Increase in food production through a more sustainable and efficient usage of water and/ or energy
- Increase in income for women and men in both rural and urban areas
- The scaling of new solutions of the innovators to challenges in the WE4F nexus
- Customers in the market are buying the newly developed products or services of the innovators
- Increase investments into enterprises at the WE4F nexus