Smart Approved WaterMark
I have been out of action for the past 3 months but I am now ready to get back to work.
I would like to share with you some good news. Two of my measured irrigation products have been accepted for the Smart Approved WaterMark:
· UMIC Unpowered Measured Irrigation Controller
· HUMIC Hi-flow Unpowered Measured Irrigation Controller
One of the requirements for the Smart Approved WaterMark is third part independent testing of the products to prove that they save water. In the case of smart irrigation controllers, it is required that the dripper volumes be strongly correlated with the prevailing evapotranspiration. So I organised daily trials over 40 days at the Adelaide Airport weather station of the Bureau of Mateorology. The method and results for these trials are available in the attachment “Evapotranspiration and Measured Irrigation”.
I am delighted to inform you that the correlation coefficient between daily dripper volumes and daily evapotranspiration was greater than 0.9.
I recommend that you watch my video “UMIC Unpowered Measured Irrigation Controller”.
If you like more information about unpowered measured irrigation, please refer to the attached document “Unpowered Measured Irrigation Training Manual for Smallholders”.
Some key feature of UMIC are listed below:
- UMIC is completely automatic
- No electricity is needed (no batteries, no solar panels, no computers, and no electronics)
- UMIC is a smart irrigation controller – the irrigation is controlled by the prevailing weather conditions
- You can adjust the water usage by adjusting the control dripper
- You can adjust the irrigation frequency by adjusting the slides on the float
- UMIC can be used for both gravity feed and pressurised irrigation
- The irrigation frequency and the water usage are directly proportional to the net evaporation rate from the evaporator
- Responds appropriately when there is an unexpected heat wave
- When it rains, water enters the evaporator and delays the start of the next irrigation
- The water usage is independent of the water supply pressure
- UMIC uses much less water without affecting the yield
- UMIC is incredibly simple and low tech and so there are fewer things to go wrong
- Provided you have a continuous water supply, you can leave your irrigation application unattended for weeks on end
- UMIC is low cost with free delivery to any postal address in the world (go to the Online Shop at the Measured Irrigation website)