Sand Removal Equipment from seawater intake

Hi All I am reviewing a P & ID, which a very old scan document.  The P & ID is for a certain 'sand removal equipment' placed in between traveling band screen and bar screen of a power plant intake system.  I have never come across such an equipment. Can anyone help me understand what is a 'sand removal equipment'? Thanks